Dark Woods Modular Training Programme:
A new approach to Barista training which allows coffee education and attainment to be both tailored and measured. It includes many resources including daily calibration sheets and cleaning sheets and is delivered in 90 minute “modules”, each with their own exercises and checkpoints. It is supported by our full colour training booklet which includes brew charts and the SCA colour wheel as well as further training tips. Modules 5 and 6 are recommended together to understand your ingredient and brew it better.
Module 5 – Introduction to Coffee
- Coffee processing (washed, natural and beyond)
- Impact of roast of coffee flavour
- Altitude and acidity
- The Flavour Wheel
Module 6 – Brewing
- Understanding the brewing process
- Charting and measuring TDS and extraction %
- Manipulating brew recipes
- Which soft brew is best for you?
Who’s it for?
– Anyone wanting to learn more about coffee and understand the main drivers to its many flavours: species/process/origin/roast
– Any baristas who may want to add other brewing methods to their menu
– Anyone who wants to learn the key principles and science behind brewing better filter coffee
The course takes place here at the roastery near Marsden, West Yorkshire. The course starts at 10.00am and finishes at about 13.00pm.
(Notes on disabled access: Our mill has no steps to access it and has flat floor surface throughout the training area, as well as parking outside on the same level. The espresso machines are set on counters at approx 9050mm height, although we can make accommodations for a lower set machine if required, with prior warning. We have two disabled toilets. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask)